2014/04/11

Well, about that... (French Fridays with Dorie: Quiche Maraichère)

Do you ever wonder what causes you to be interested in one thing but feel totally "meh" about another?

For example, I can watch ice hockey all day long; but five minutes with a football game on is five minutes too long. (I guess football doesn't even rate a "meh".)

Take me to a bookstore and I will be happy to spend the day browsing. Take me to a craft fair and I will spend most of my time there coming up with an exit strategy.

Lemon curd? I'm all yours. Chocolate mousse. Not so much.

It's not that there is anything wrong with any of those things, but somehow I just can't get excited about them. I have a strong case of the "It's not you, it's me..." syndrome going on.

 
Am I the only person that wrestles with (over thinks) this concept? Not being interested in something for no good reason.
 
This was the dilemma I faced with this week's quiche maraichère recipe - an egg and cream based tart filled with market vegetables. Very nice vegetables that appear on my table with regularity, but for some reason weren't hanging out in my refrigerator when it came time to make this.
 
However, I did have baby tomatoes (that I slow roasted), pancetta and shallots hanging out. I think we all know what happened next... (something pretty darned delicious). The presence of egg, heavy cream and Gruyere only served to help things along. Since I was feeling slightly ambitious, I divided the pastry dough into thirds and placed it into mini-spring form pans.
 
The end result was something that caused me to wonder why I don't make quiches/ egg based dishes more often - the effort to reward ratio is generally favorable. They usually can be made ahead and served at room temperature (or slightly warm). And people generally like them... Heck, it was even The Dude approved - I wisely stayed far away from any "real men don't eat quiche" comments.
 
Just because I couldn't finish off this post without some circuitous thread, let's come back around to ice hockey. Our local Union College men's ice hockey team beat Boston College last night and advance to the national championship Saturday night where they will face off against Minnesota. It's a Div I program that doesn't offer scholarships, so its kind of/ sort of/ totally a big deal around here... Just saying...
 
This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie. The recipe for Quiche Maraichère can be found here.

24 comments:

  1. I love that you used what you had. I enjoyed this one. Have a great weekend Cher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd sit down at the table any day and tuck into your quiche (which sounds delicious) as well as Dorie's quiche (which was delicious). As you know, I'm into using up leftovers, what you already have sitting around, and not wasting 40%. C'mon, America, we can do better. You're just not old enough yet to know it's okay to not like something (or, someone) for no good reason. I bet you still think you have to finish every book you begin? I lobbed that off my must-dos 5 years ago. I am reading "The Gifts of Imperfection" by Brené Brown which makes living with mine a whole lot easier. I will send it along to you when I finish it. I would expect nothing less of Joe than to sit up at your table and eat quiche. Loved meeting him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this book Mary, I think everyone should read it. It helped my go through a very difficult time in my life. I am happy that I find other people appreciating its meaning and power :) :)

      Delete
  3. Bill would love your version even more! Good luck to your hockey team!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I love your version - and we should all be inspired to make quiche more often. It was so delicious & so easy.

    Have a great weekend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cher, Loved all your changes....they sound yummy! We really enjoyed this one....even Bill thought it was very good! Yours looks so pretty too! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you understood the essences of this recipe really well. it is about market fresh whatever that happens to be... the techinque is what I came away with and yes, crafts in general... I just don't get.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This made me wonder why I don't make quiches more often too. Love all your changes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was sorry you had flour on hand. You could have subbed in some pasta instead and made a lovely pasta dish to go with your hockey.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am glad your quiche was "dude approved". Your version sounds delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a delicious looking quiche, golden to perfection :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great substitution of ingredients: Next time I need to try tomatoes, and pancetta for my quiche.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great substitutes and minified versions!

    1) With you on ice hockey - love it! Can't stand even 3 minutes of football, which can be a problem since sous chef lives by each moment of college and professional football from August - Superbowl.
    2) Lemons - oh yes! Chocolate - migraine city.
    3) You can never have too many books or too much time in the bookstore.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh you are not alone in this way of thinking Cher, I also find myself ingoring some things for no good reason. Congratulations to you Ice Hockey team they have a difficult challenge ahead of them but it is worth it. As for the quiche I am not ashamed to say that I would prefer your version over the original any day - even though the original tasted good :) even without the cream and cheese. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. If following Dorie's instructions on this one has taught me anything, it's that pretty much anything + pastry crust = delicous. Seriously, from blue cheese and apples to the most mundane veggies I can think of, Dorie has convinced me that you can't make a mistake with quiche.

    And I could (and often do) spend hours in the bookstore too. Preferably alone so that I don't feel rushed. And I almost always buy something on the way out because I am terrified of the day when Amazon puts them all out of business.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think Dorie would approve. You can always make this combo another time when your fridge is restocked with the staples. I make quiche (savory tarts) frequently based on what's hanging out in the fridge, and sounds like you had just the kind of leftovers I like to have hanging out in there. I'm with you on the football, though my top sport to watch might be baseball rather than hockey. Congrats to your local team!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ugh. I just typed a really long comment and then it vanished. I'm hoping it went for approval, but I'm thinking it didn't. I won't bother to retype, but suffice it to say thumbs up on your combo. And, I don't like watching football either...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great way to improvise. The tomatoes sound fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice substitutes Cher. Your version sounds quite good.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounds absolutely delicious. Slow roasted tomatoes are one of my favorite ingredients. They make everything taste good.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Slow roasted tomatoes, pancetta, and shallots? Yes, yes, yes ... that would make a very fine quiche.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your version sounds wonderful! This really is a "clean out the fridge" type recipe, isn't it? I finally made this last night and we enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yum on your additions. As much as I loved Dorie's, I will have to try the next one your way.

    ReplyDelete
  23. One of the best gifts from this group is being able to improvise a quiche now from whatever I have in the fridge. Yours sounds delicious, but do try the recipe as written some time, too - it's hard to believe that so much flavour can come out of such simple ingredients.

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.