2014/04/25

So.... (French Fridays with Dorie: Green as Spring Stew)

Do you ever have one of those weeks where things are just plain bizarre?

How about realizing that a snake has moved in four offices down from yours? No, I am not calling the occupant a snake - the occupant brought a real live snake with him. Four. Offices. Down. Freaky...

Or realizing that half of the Human Resources department just moved in four offices in the other direction.

I am not sure which direction I am supposed to walk any more.


How about realizing that you just read fifteen e-mails in the voice of Eric Cartman? Kee-wwwll. (Or not...)

Yeah - it has been that kind of weird.

Do you know what else is kind of weird? Green stew.

Green soup? Yeah, I can make sense of that.

Green stew? It took me a little while to wrap my head around that concept.

This week's French Fridays with Dorie recipe had us thinking green. A very simple veal soup was given an herbaceous makeover.

Veal and the standard aromatic trio (celery, carrots, onions) are simmered together with garlic, thyme and bay leaf to form the base of the stew. While the veal takes a nap, the broth is cooked down and then processed together with a healthy dose of greens - arugula, spinach, parsley, tarragon and dill, to be exact. The sauce is given the creme fraiche and lemon treatment before being reunited with the veal.

Since I knew that there wouldn't be too many takers on this one, I only made a third of the recipe (which promptly headed back to college with Runner Girl).

This vibrant green was certainly seasonally appropriate (if only my lawn could take on the same hue). Any thing that helps banish the memories of winter to the recesses of my mind is welcome. It's hard to think winter when looking at that. no?

Peace out. XO

This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie.

18 comments:

  1. Thanks for the blue background... and you did not taste?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried a little bit of the sauce (and liked it well enough), but no, I didn't try the final dish.

      Delete
  2. I was pleased to be able to make this for guests who did enjoy the green-ness! Yours is SO green. Mine wasn't so much..

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds wonderful! I just made something very similar on my blog - Spring is definitely in the air!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about your weird week. You can bring pets to work? And a snake at that. Glad you enjoyed the stew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not think that one was supposed to bring pets to work... But apparently, its an option for some.

      Delete
  5. It is a bit of Doctor Seus kinda of stew... Snake huh,,,, probably make a good stew?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent, another "third-er." sort of of wishing I had made more. And snake? whoa.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Snakes at work (or anywhere inside) = Weird and creepy. I think you just need to stay IN your office and hope you don't have to go to any meetings or the bathroom or anything. This stew sure was green. Would have been good for St Patrick's Day. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Snakes are not a particularly good thing. One doesn't ever want a snake for a neighbor. Does the snake come and go or remain for permanently. If he's a permanent occupant just be sure to see if it's safe in his house before you walk into your office. Yeah, this recipe and color took some getting used to but it was okay, not memorable like your snake at work, but okay.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I first came to work with my one-week-from-past employer, I was surprised by people with rats on their shoulder (ended up being good friends - rats and people), lots of snakes, and other reptiles, hamsters and aquariums... as well plenty of doggies and the occasional cat - it takes some getting used to!

    I'm just now making this with a veal chop that I had in the freezer (from when I didn't get around to making "the" veal chop. It does smell good, and it sounds like it was enjoyed - we'll see!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah - this was tasty enough but won't be making it back to my table.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I switched out the spinach for peas, Bill and I both enjoyed it! He loves pea soup…so I thought that may work!
    I would definitely have an objection to snakes in the work place….I have such a fear of snakes! Eeek!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Spring and obviously a bit of weirdness is in the air :P
    Delicious stew!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  13. Strange. Snakes at the office? Um, don't know what to say about that except "I HATE SNAKES" just like Indiana Jones. Didn't do this one, couldn't find the right veal, and wasn't excited about substitutions this week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gosh that is a green stew! I was in Athens with the in-laws last week so I didn't get to make it! From the list of ingredients it looks like I'm going to like it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I once went to a job interview where the interviewer was babysitting a baby jaguar. I got to answer interview questions while this baby jaguar nipped at my ankles. It was very bizarre. I did not take the job...

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.