2013/12/03

Where, oh where did time fly? (Tuesdays with Dorie BWJ: Challah)

Well, Hello December!

When did you show up?

I am pretty sure that just yesterday there were trick-or-treaters running around the neighborhood and now Thanksgiving is over and Christmas is knocking at the door?

Wow, where has time gone?

 
I guess that means the hustle and bustle of the season has started.
 
Which makes it the perfect time to slow down and make a loaf or two (or more of bread).
 
Challah is one of my favorite breads to make. It is such a forgiving and flexible bread - if you have a long day, you can let it proceed normally. If you need to work it in 50,000 other things, just pop it into the refrigerator between rises.
 
It almost seems as if it rewards your for your haphazardness - because that extra time only seems to improve the overall texture of the end result.
 
If only the rest of life were so forgiving?
 
P.S. The fact that this stuff makes great French toast (and stuffing) just kind of seals the deal.
 
Have a great week all - I am off to try to find some of that time I lost somewhere over the past month.
 
Peace out.
 
This post participates in Tuesdays with Dorie. Lauren Groveman (the contributor to this week's recipe) talks about Challah making here and posts a recipe here.

15 comments:

  1. Looks delicious. Good to know it is not a finicky dough. Hoping to make this soon. Just could not fit it in before Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanksgiving being last week was such a blur! I still need to buy Christmas cards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol. Good allegory between bread and life :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i could swear it was the fourth of july just last week...bread looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should have made mine before Thanksgiving...and before the sugar crusted French toast post :) You worked this loaf perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll have a slice, thanks! :) Looks good! I enjoyed this recipe a lot. It was much easier than I thought it would be. I am saving mine for French toast...but I hadn't thought of stuffing...hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree about the extra time and the overall texture of the bread. Since I never seem to be able to find a whole day to properly bake a bread by following a lengthy recipe, I tend to put the dough in the fridge after the final rise. No complains, so far :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooooh, I'm trying "haphazard" next time! I was a Challah virgin. My life will never be the same again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks beautiful. I know what you mean about time rushing by! Ugh! Maybe this is why I love baking bread so much...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Always a good one. And yes, how is it Dec.3?????

    ReplyDelete
  11. Challah is a generally forgiving bread which is good. :) Your bread definitely looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cher only you could make a challah sound easy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks just perfect Cher! I haven't made challah in I can't remember how long-maybe time to make one!? I'll take your advice and not stress over it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know, where has this year gone?? At least there is always bread. Love the look of your loaves! Fingers crossed I can fit in the next TWD assignment

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good luck finding your extra time! Your bread looks fantastic! I love this recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.