2013/12/05

Better late than never... (Daring Bakers November '13: Sfogliatelle)

Yes, I know it's December and this was the November DB challenge; but I did make these in November (and have the Instagram proof).

Better late than never, right?

There is one reason I signed on with The Daring Cooks and The Daring Bakers - to push myself outside of my comfort zone.

There is a whole world of "stuff" out there.

 
When I saw that this month's Daring Baker's challenge involved an insane two-three day pastry project, I was kind of excited.
 
This was so up my alley and precisely the reason I started baking along with this group.
 

Home made ricotta? Check.
Home made dough that had to be rolled out to almost paper thiness? Check.
Stretching and rolling 40 feet of dough into a log and then making shapes into them? Check. (I have an 7-8 foot island in my kitchen and that didn't seem long enough!)
Now, please tell me why I the thought of making a batch of drop cookies drives me out of my mind; but something like this makes me happy?
Obviously, I need help.

 
This post participates in The Daring Bakers. Sandie of the lovely blog, Crumbs of Love, was our November hostess. Sandie challenged us to make a traditional Italian dessert, along with its American version – Sfogliatelle (or better known in the US – lobster tails!) The flakey, 1000 layers of super thin dough, shaped into a horn and filled with a scrumptious filling. Così buono! The link to this month's challenge, including full recipes can be found here. It is worth checking out, just to get a sense of the process - Sandie did such a great job putting it all together.

Peace out.

XOXO

3 comments:

  1. I loooove sfogliatelle. I never heard of them before moving to Italy, but I can't get enough of them. Especially when they're still warm. Oh lordy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man! Those look incredible! Can I come live at your house?

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.