2013/02/14

Peanut Butter Spritz Cookies (French Fridays with Dorie Extra: Valentine's Day Cookier Exchange)

Okay... It's not Friday, but we have a French Friday's with Dorie "extra" going on today. The indefatigable Alice (who tirelessly put together a FFwD Christmas card exchange). I don't know where she gets her energy from - I am pretty sure I was not that energetic when my two ladies were so little...

I couldn't say no, so once again I found myself pulling out ye ol' stand mixer and whipping up another batch of cookies. (For someone who doesn't like to make cookies, I have been making an awful lot of cookies lately - maybe I protest too loudly?)


The cookie gods were smiling down at me when they assigned Mardi over at Eat, Live, Travel, Write as my "cookie faerie". When I saw that package on my back porch with a Canadian origin, I just knew it was going to be something good. I was right.

I don't know if Mardi knew how much of a lemon fiend I am or if it was pure happy coincidence, but she sent me a dozen (plus) wonderful lemon sandwich cookies. They were so good that I had to hide the cookies while I was at work to make sure they were still around when I came home. (Much to Culinary Kid's chagrin).


Here is the link to Mardi's Lemon Melting Moments. Go there. Look at them. Make them. You will be deliriously happy. De-lir-ious.

I was tickled to be able to send along my cookie selection to Karen of Our Crazy, Blessed Life. Peanut Butter Spritz cookies were my cookie of choice. I have a bit of a love affair with peanut butter cookies. They make me happy. I hope they were able to make someone else happy too! (Plus, it gave me a chance to play with my spritz press - which never seems to get enough use.)


Peanut Butter Spritz Cookies
Adapted from The King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion
Note: I made the recipe using weight measurements, but included the volume measurements below. Recipe makes ~6-7 dozen cookies depending on how efficient your spritzing or dropping skills are…

8 Tbs (4 ounces) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup (9 ½ ounces) creamy peanut butter (you can use homemade or store bought)
1 cup (8 ounces) light brown sugar
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg, room temperature
1 ¾ cups (7 ¼ ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
Chocolate kisses or drops for decorating, if desired
Preheat oven to 375F. While the oven is preheating, place two large baking sheets (parchment or Silpat line them) in the refrigerator (if you are going to spritz press the cookies).
In the bowl of a stand mixer – or in a large bowl if using beaters – cream together butter, peanut butter, sugar, salt, baking soda and vanilla until the mixture is smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and then beat in the egg until smooth again. Scrape down the sides again and stir in the flour until well incorporated.
If you are going to make these spritz style, spoon the dough into the barrel of a press (I used a flower disk) and press onto the prepared baking sheets - ~1” apart. Alternatively, you can spoon the dough by the teaspoonful (press the tops flat after spooning).
Bake the cookies for ~8-9 minutes. They should look set and the edges will be slightly brown. Remove from oven – if you are adding chocolate kisses/ discs, do this immediately after removing from oven. Let cookies sit on baking sheet for a couple of minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack to finish cooling.

If you would like to see every one's sweet links - stop by the FFwD site. See you all tomorrow for our regularly scheduled FFwD episode!

Peace out!

20 comments:

  1. Never made this kind of PB cookies - I take your word for it in terms of level of satisfaction!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn´t ffwd one of the best groups ever? If you could save me some of both cookies... Have a great day Cher!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE spritz cookies. Need a press myself! I am so glad you loved the melting moments and that you could overlook the crappy packaging!! XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wanting a cookie press for awhile now!! jealous!! :) I'm loving all these events, it's so much fun! Cant wait for you guys too see the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm jealous that Mardi got to bake for you! How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I SOOOO wish that Alice hadn't mentioned the "next one" . Doesn't she need to move or take care of those little girls or something? Does she sleep? I have already decided that Liz doesn't sleep. I do. Eight hours. Both your and Mardi's cookies look fabulous and I know they are delicious. I suspect your are sending lots of cookies off to college. That's what Moms do. And, you are a good one. Happy Valentine's Day, Cher, to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both look so good! Bookmarking your PB Spritz cookies to try later! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohh my - the Lemon sandwich cookies look delicious. The Spitz cookies look wonderful - I must dust off my Spritz press. Happy Valentine's Day:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love lemon, too! I will definitely have to try these!

    And, I've nver made peanut butter spritz but know htat my "little" brother would love them.

    Wishing you love & happiness! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lemon is one of my favorite flavors too! yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. FFWD is the best group ever, because the Dorista’s are the best!! Both of these cookies look incredible!! Happy Valentine’s Day, Cher!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A double dose of yumminess...both what you received from Mardi and what you sent!!! We are a fun group, aren't we???

    ReplyDelete
  13. Both of these cookies look amazing, Cher! I got a cookie press for my 13th birthday (I asked for it). I still have it after I won't tell you how many years. It hasn't been used in quite some time, so your peanut butter spritz seem like a perfect excuse to pull it out. I love lemon cookies, so I'll try Mardi's too. Happy Valentine's Day! See you again tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't know what my issueis with the cookie press but I'm simply no good with it. These make me want to get it out and try again though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My ipad and I don't get along! I was NOT ready to publish but that was my only option! Anyhow, both cookies look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Events like these really make me wish I lived in the US or Canada. Cookie exchanges, foodie penpals sound like so much fun but living half way around the world does not help!
    I took part once and the package I sent took 3 weeks to arrive when they told me it will get there in 4 days and the package sent to me never arrived :( it got lost in the mail between canada and Jordan!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks great, lovely event. Unfortunately not available in Holland.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those lemon cookies look wonderful! Next year, I'm going to have to take part in the fun. My partner loves peanut butter cookies. Luckily, they're easy to make gluten-free. Yours look like something I'd love - you can't go wrong with peanut butter and chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a lovely cookie assortment!

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.