2013/02/15

At least my heart was in it... (French Fridays with Dorie: Coeur à la Crème)

You know how sometimes, your heart is in the right place but things just don't work out like they are supposed to?

It comes out all wrong in the end.

Like making a "treat" for someone and finding out that you included their least favorite ingredient. (I am looking at you shredded coconut). Hey, your heart was in the right place.

Like going to the airport to pick up a loved one. On the wrong day. Hey, your heart was in the right place.

Like reaching over to give someone a hug and instead, giving them a big old electric shock. Hey, your heart was in the right place.

(This is starting to sound like an Alanis Morissette song, isn't it? Ironic, don't you think?)

Life is filled with those acts that are meant well, but end up failing in execution. Being able to laugh about them and move on is a life skill, right?


Like this Coeur à la Crème. I so wanted it work perfectly - I even had visions of beautifully plated slices of creamy goodness drizzled with a orange-raspberry coulis. (The coulis didn't go to waste, you will see that in this week's TWD).
Well, I didn't have a heart mold, so I thought I was going to have a bowl shaped cream cake to show everyone this week.

I carefully mixed my ingredients. I set them in a cheesecake lined strainer. I let it drain and drain and drain. A wee bit of liquid drained off (maybe a couple of tablespoons). I checked the contents of the strainer to see if my beautiful, slice able dessert was ready. Not so much.

I ended up with cream cheese dip that I poured into a heart shaped ramekin.

That counts, right?

My heart was in the right place and it still tasted good - especially when generously slathered on top of some shockingly (given the time of year and the probable origin) tasty strawberries.


Speaking of "hearts", Runner Girl still seems to be adjusting well to college life as seen here at one of her recent meets. (The drudgery of all that school work hasn't dampened her playful side yet). Culinary Kid has made her college selection - now we just have to work through the million and one details between now and then to see if it all comes together.


A bunch of these cookies came with us to that same meet and were gobbled up by Runner Girl and some of her teammates. When I made these cookies, I was really dubious that they would ever come together. They did. Beautifully. For someone who doesn't like to make cookies, I seem to be making a lot of cookies (at very weird hours of the morning and night, I might add).


I hope everyone has a lovely weekend. Stay warm (unless it is already warm where you are - then, I am just jealous). For everyone lucky enough to have a three day weekend - have a great holiday!

This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie - where I am sure you will find several examples of a beautifully executed, perfectly slice able dessert. I am counting on it!

Peace out.

27 comments:

  1. I bet it was a wonderful dip!!! Your experience sounds like my boca negra :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine worked out, and was quite tasty. I am a little concerned when recipes work for some and not for others. I wonder if it was the cream cheese consistency?

    My third is in college now. I am always impressed with the athlete's appetite, cute cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had beginners luck with mine...I did use the lower fat cream cheese. Love your heart cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made me laugh. ^.^ Just like an alanis morissette song. But you are correct your heart is on the right place and your cream heart tasted for sure great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The dip works Cher! Funny how some really firmed up and others did not. I guess a lot depends on the cream cheese consistency and how humid it is where you are. In any case, this looks lovely and I wouldn't say no!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it sounds like a very tasty dip, especially with the strawberries! Mine held together, but I think it was still too soft to slice. Oh, well - it was still a fun recipe. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was thinking of Alanis as I started reading this post. I think you should sell her some lyrics :) For the record, I got very little liquid out either but thought it was due to doubling the cheesecloth to fit the strainer. I then removed one layer and gave it another 8 hours but still little liquid came out but it was firm. I am thinking I had the kitchenaid mix the cream too solid but that might have helped the cause. Love the photos - glad both girls are happy and getting settled. The cookies must help on that front :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. ..enjoyed your post...as always! don't beat yourself up about slice-ability of your dessert - taste what matters after all :) my kids are at the same age/stages of their lives - I can "taste" your anxiety drifting toward "empty-nest-ness-ship".. I guess we just need to learn to enjoy all positives it may bring to us like suddenly having more free time etc.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Reading your posts is like a glimpse of the future for me with my two youngish boys. I appreciate your honest comments! When life gives you a loose coeur, make dip! A creamy, sweet dip for fruit is always good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mine only drained off like a tablespoon too - oh well. Valentine's Day was a trying day this year for me but it sounds like both your dip and cookies were excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those heart shaped cookies make up for the shape of the coeur. I bet it tasted perfect! I had a not setting right experience with the boca negra, it happens. Have a great weekend Cher!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds tasty anyway. And I consider good strawberries in the middle of winter a big win. I just didn't trust them, that's one of the reasons I went with passion fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmm that is so cute my friend :D
    These cookies look too good!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wonder if anyone's coeur dripped "whey". Mine, nothin'. I have given this dessert wayyyyy to much power over my Life the past two weeks. Tonight is the big night of unveiling and if it turns out to be dip, I might take myself out! There was nothing about the food you made this week that wasn't delicious, huh? And, those cookies. You are a baking fool but you've established yourself with Runner Girl's friends now and they expect you-know-whats everytime you visit or she visits you. Good luck with that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Cher, you know what they say…you win some, you lose some! I’ve had my share of losses! Your heart was in the right place! I love the idea of using it as a dip for your strawberries…a great save!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think the heart shaped bowl definitely counts. Love the heart shaped cookies - they are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  17. There seems to be so much variability in how firm everyone's coeur came out. Mine was definitely sliceable, but others just spoonable. Not sure what's up with that... This definitely wasn't my favorite dessert. Those cookies, on the other hand, look fantastic. It surprises me that you don't like making cookies, you're such a baker.
    It was 55 degrees here today, though it's supposed to be winter. I hope some of the warm air blows over your way. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cher, I also didn't get much drainage....I think it was because I beat the whip cream too much....what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your Alannis comment made me laugh.
    And the coeur a la creme - looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That dip and strawberries makes up for any recipe mishaps - sounds like a wonderful combination. The cookies are beautiful, too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The strawberries and those cookies with your creme sounds like a plan!

    ReplyDelete
  22. OK, you made me laugh out loud with the reference to Alanis Morissette. So all was not for naught. And also the idea that maybe, just maybe...I would make this with....coconut the next time? Hmm... Maybe then it wouldn't remind me of so much past heartache.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Cher, very cute post and I am seriously jealous of the lovely strawberries at this time of year - the ones I found at the fruit monger were not even close to ripe. And I do like those heart-shaped chocolate and cream cookies - they look delicious!
    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am so sorry your coeur a la creme didn't set, but what a great save using it as a dip for strawberries! Your heart-shaped cookies look beautiful and I bet didn't last long at all.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think using it as a dip was a brilliant idea. And I want to hear more about this tasty sounding orange-raspberry coulis! Yum!

    It does seem a lot of folks are making treats in the middle of the night! Your cookies look great!

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.